How to Recognize The Warning Signs of Toxic Mold
June 5, 2016
June 5, 2016
Mold comes in many varieties. Some, like penicillum, help ripen tasty cheeses or create life-saving antibiotics. Unfortunately, some other molds make people sick, and long-term exposure to toxic molds can cause serious or even fatal injuries. Many homeowners don’t realize their houses have problems with toxic mold until they or a family member show signs of illness. Don’t make that mistake. Inspect your home regularly, and contact a professional mold removal company immediately if you notice mold or experience the symptoms of mold exposure.
Here are some common warning signs of toxic mold:
- Visible mold on walls, in cabinets, or under sinks.In the early stages of mold growth, homeowners often mistake mold for dust, soot, or even shadows. Beware: minimal mold growth on a wall may be a sign of a larger colony growing out of sight inside the wall.
- Water leaks or past water damage.Mold grows best in damp environments, making flooding, broken or leaky pipes, and leaking roofs among the major causes of toxic mold.
- Unusual or worsening allergies (or allergy-like symptoms). Common symptoms of mold exposure include congestion, difficulty breathing, coughing, burning, itching, or watering eyes, and worsening of asthma and other respiratory ailments. Many homeowners mistake these symptoms for other ailments, which can create a life-threatening situation because mold becomes more dangerous over time.
- Excessive condensation.Windows occasionally “steam up” in cold weather or after a person takes a shower, but if your home experiences regular or excessive condensation—either throughout the house or in a specific room—you should take steps to solve the problem and also arrange for a mold inspection.
Although mold thrives in damp environments, toxic mold can also continue to grow when the dampness passes: for example, after a flood has dried up or a water leak has been repaired. Even if you don’t notice signs of mold initially, the spores can get a foothold and grow over time.
Inspect your house for mold on a regular basis, paying special attention to dark, humid areas where mold can thrive. Bathrooms, kitchens, and cabinets are particularly susceptible. Contact a mold remediation specialist at the first sign of mold infestation, and ensure you clean, disinfect, and repair the damage properly and promptly. Your health, and that of your family, is at stake.
If you’re planning to sell your home, be aware that mold can seriously impact the selling price. Many buyers won’t purchase a house with mold problems, and others will request complete remediation and repairs before the close of escrow. As an alternative, you may want to consider selling your house to 4 Brothers Buy Houses—we will even buy houses with mold!
Want to know more? Click here for more information and a fast, no-obligation quote today.