Can You Sell a Home in Washington DC with Flood Damage?
September 20, 2021
September 20, 2021
Homes flood for all different reasons such as broken pipes, poor drainage, clogged rain gutters, malfunctioning appliances, foundational problems and the weather. And here in Washington DC, we are no strangers to hurricanes and tropical storms!
If you have a home with flood damage, you might be wondering if you have options to sell. Fortunately, you do. Here’s everything you need to know about selling a home in Washington DC with flood damage.
House Flooded? Here’s How to Minimize the Damage.
The first 48 hours after your house floods are critical. By taking the appropriate steps, you can minimize water damage. Below is a quick checklist of things to do when your Washington DC home floods.
- Make a list of damaged property. This list might be short or long depending on the severity of the damage.
- Take photos of the damage. Having pictures allows you to document everything for insurance and resale purposes.
- Call your insurance company. They might be able to repair and restore some of the damage while reducing your out-of-pocket expenses.
- Wear gloves. Some flood water has harmful contaminants, particularly sewer water. Before touching the water, wear gloves.
- Remove items that hold water. Examples include mattresses, furniture and bedding. Getting these items out of the home prevents mold and mildew from forming.
- Contact a water restoration company. These companies use vacuums and dehumidifiers to remove water and dry out the space.
Deciding to Make Repairs or Sell Your Home As-Is in Washington DC
If you take care of the flooding quickly, you might not have much of a problem. However, if your home does have flood damage and you don’t have the money to pay for repairs, it may be best to sell your home. Even with insurance, out-of-pocket costs for flood damage can be significant.
At 4 Brothers Buy Houses, we buy homes in Washington DC in all types of conditions. We’re not afraid of homes that have flood damage, foundational problems or mold and mildew. We have an extensive network of contractors that we hire to handle these issues. You won’t be required to do a thing!
Also, when you sell your Washington DC home to us, you can eliminate showings, appraisals, inspections, realtor commissions and closing costs. The sale is between you and our home buyers only. Contact us today if your DC home has flood damage and you need a quick, as-is sale.